1/1/14

Happy New Year! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year from my family to yours!

<Lydia says is it time it get up already?!>

As a side note, and please don't be offended, but why is it that people say "Happy New Years"? We just do one year at a time, right?

I hope that you all enjoyed your week with your families. I sure enjoyed my days off :) A few days at my wonderful inlaws, 4 out of 5 of us were sick Sunday and Monday. Then #5 got it Wednesday. I'm talking stomach flu. Horrible. And let's (not) count the 15 other people that had it after us....yeah.... Best quote of the week, Chad (after just spending all afternoon and evening taking care of me and Lydia): "I'm going to be sick. I can't even believe it. It's not fair!" Sweet man.

<Gramma and Pop-pop with all 8 grandies- don't miss Logan's sweetness there in front :)>

*****

Now:


New Year's Resolutions

<source>

As I thought about 2013 and what my goals were for 2014, it occurred to me that resolutions/goals are really "how am I going to spend my time?" or maybe "how do I want to spend my time differently in 2014?"

Time seems to be something we never have enough of. However, I have the same 24 hours as the next person. It's all in how we choose to use those 24 hours.

As a stay at home mom, only a minor chunk of my day is concretely spoken for: breakfast prep, pack lunches, making sure we get out the door on time, driving to and from the bus stop, dinner prep, and bathes. Admittedly, I have a good chunk of time that I can call "my own" (if you can call it that with a cutie tornado girl running around), and the list of things that need to get done is relatively short: laundry, cleaning, meal planning, grocery listing and shopping. But somehow, more often than not, the cutie tornado girl wins, and my to-do list was still not done. And here I am, failing at the one other job I have.

I've tried splitting my time into increments, but I can't live life 15 minutes at a time- not with Lydia's personality. Maybe in 2015.

I've tried assigning jobs to days to split up the list. One chore per day and one load of laundry per day. Laundry did get done, but usually on the same day. And then we would live out of laundry baskets of clean clothes, because it's just counterproductive to fold laundry with Lydia awake. And since she never sleeps.... But I have found a laundry solution that works and I've been able to stick with it for a few months. Go me! Maybe I'll blog about that another day!

All that being said, I thought a lot about where I wanted my time to be spent for 2014.

But also, this verse has been on my mind, "The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps", Proverbs 16:9 (NASB).

*****

I've split my goals for 2014 into 3 categories: personal, running, and blogging.

Personal

1: simplify life- purge, purge, purge and organize

2: wholesome home cooked meals for my family

3: be unplugged from 4-8pm

4: smile more

5: don't sweat the small stuff- it just wastes time and happiness

Running

1: Kentucky Derby miniMarathon

2: Flying Pig 10k and 5k

3: 1,000 miles

4: more cross training

5: don't go 3 days without running

Blogging

1: theme posts 3x per week (like maybe: meal plan Monday, Friday Favorites- I'm open to suggestions. . .)

2: link up parties with said themes

3: utilize post calendar for organization and consistency

4: write what I feel more

5: I don't have a #5, but feel weird stopping at 4 in only 1 category

*****

What are you changing in 2014?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment