1/27/14

Sick? Workout or Don't Workout? That is the Question

I woke up this morning with the start of a head cold. I have been all stuffed up and nose drippy and miserable all day long. I couldn't even smell the tomatoes and garlic roasting in the oven tonight. Not even fair.

Since I'm still pretty new at this running and working out community and I'm rarely sick, I still get a little uneasy about working out or running when I am sick. Kind of the cross between I don't really feel like working out, and knowing that when I don't want to, that's when I really should.

I found this really great article on Runner's World that really spelled out about running or working out when you're sick. I think it's really important to listen to your body.

If it wasn't like freezing cold and crazy windy, I probably wouldn't have run today anyway because of my dripping nose. It would have driven me crazy. But that is just personal preference. Just stuffed up, maybe.

So what did I do?

After my brief hiatus (oh, the beach plus some days) from my Squat, Crunch, and Plank Challenge, I picked up where I left off: week 2, Friday. The squats were pretty easy to complete, the crunches are definitely going to hurt tomorrow, and the 1:40 plank was brutal.

In case you've forgotten:

 

After that, I wanted to do something else, and found this pyramid arm workout by Be Mom Strong.




My arms are going to be a little sore in the morning, maybe even a lot sore, but I can not wait to get some heavier dumbbells for a really great burn.

My first workout in a week was short, but great.

Hopefully, I'll be feeling better tomorrow and I can get the kids (since they are off school because of the extreme cold) to join in a little cardio and yoga.

****

What's your rule of thumb when it comes to running or working out when your sick?

How's the weather where you are? Freezing cold is putting it lightly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment